10 Memories of the San Fernando Valley
2. When I Love Lucy was the most popular TV show in the world, Desi and Lucy owned a house in Chatsworth. It was later turned into a school. My brother and I went there for a couple of years to avoid the bussing. My brother met Lucy once. She’d come back to see the place and kept saying how glad she was that they’d kept the pool. They eventually got rid of the pool.
3. The Manson Family lived in Spawn Ranch in the hills nearby. Just a few years ago old Charlie and his zombies would wander right down the street near my house to dig through the trash bins at Hughes Market. We looked but we never found the ranch. During my childhood I heard it was one of eleven different places including in the train tunnel through to Simi Valley in the Santa Susana pass, which never made a lick of fucking sense to me.
4. Chatsworth Christmas Parade, which became the Holiday parade sometime in the 80s. The Budweiser Clydesdales always marched.
5. Eazy-E’s official residence was in Chatsworth when he died. He actually died at Cedars Sinai, protected by Black Muslims for some reason.
6. The dad from Teen Wolf lived down the block. He once bought a bagel from me after I’d convinced the kids in the neighborhood to go into the bagel business.
7. The Munch Box. A yellow boxed building right near the train tracks that serves the only real chili in the world.
8. I saw Hulk Hogan at Thifty’s once. His wife Linda was my mom’s manicurist. When I was an extra in Gremlins II, I met him again. Knows how to treat his fans, the Hulkster.
9. Germain St. School's first Mexican student--Miguel.