Saturday, December 01, 2007

Giuliani's Nosedive is Great News for Democrats



For the first time, it really seems like Mike Huckabee could win the Republican Nomination.

Huckabee is the only GOP candidate with any nuance on the complicated immigration issue that could turn the GOP into the national party of Pete Wilson.

I like Huckabee a lot. I just wish he didn't buy into the pro-life/pro-death penalty dichotomy that makes every Conservative look inauthentic.

I also think Mitt Romney is the John Edwards of the Republican party. Too pretty. A little too good to not appear condescending.

So, the good news is that Huckabee and Clinton would be the most progressive race in decades. Huckabee is a progressive when it comes to civic responsibility and pride in government. He'll also be able to battle Hillary without looking like a cad, too.

But, right now I don't think he can beat Clinton.

You can’t overlook the importance of the running mates. Two pro-life men running against Hillary and Wesley Clark, who I predict will be her running mate, will have a hard time winning more than 30-38% of the female vote.

I think we can’t overlook the importance of a running mate.

Right now, the ticket I think would have the best shot against Clinton/Clark is Giuliani/Huckabee. They could get more than that 30-38% of females and have a chance.

But I also think the biggest story right now is that we’re in the middle of major Giulani nosedive. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rudy weren’t looking for a way out of this race that will save face. I’m not saying that’s what he did in 2000. But I think he knew he was smart not to not go against Clinton while he wasn’t 100%, something the Edwards family hasn’t ceded.